Background:Headquartered in Miami, AvMed is one of Florida’s oldest and largest non-profit health plans. The 50-year-old company has 509 Associates in four different locations that aim to inspire its Floridian health plan members to focus on living a WELLfluent life: Having or striving to have a truly balanced life, rich in what matters most; health and happiness. Learn more at AvMed.org.
Prior to working with theEMPLOYEEapp, AvMed Associates were using a self-built Intranet, named eZone, which was hard coded and required IT to manage and execute all updates. Ezone was the main platform for Associates to retrieve important information. However, it lacked the mechanisms for easy access and timely content updates. As a result, this led Associates to question the accuracy, relevancy, and timeliness the of content. Moreover, this solution was only available to users connected to their network via desktop or laptop computers.
AvMed sought a new employee communication app that would allow it to accomplish various goals: (a) better organize information that could be obtained both via a desktop computer and a mobile device; (b) could be created and managed by professionals who were responsible for creating the content and not IT or tech-savvy ones; (c) a cost-effective and easy to implement solution.
AvMed turned to theEMPLOYEEapp to create its new Associate Resource Center (ARC) employee communication app for several important reasons:
- theEMPLOYEEapp was a mobile first solution but also offered a web application so content could be obtained through desktop computers for deskbound Associates.
- It needed a customized, branded solution that was simple to use both for employees and administrators – theEMPLOYEEapp’s content management system (CMS) accomplished all of this.
- The solution had to provide an organized way to deliver information to Associates who weren’t sitting behind desks; theEMPLOYEEapp’s “Explore” function provided the ability to organize content into folders so employees could easily find information like underwriting and member contracts, as well as human resource information.
- The solution had to have a social/employee engagement aspect so that Associates could engage better with each other. In addition to theEMPLOYEEapp’s “News Feed”, the app (both mobile and web) allowed for social sharing of select content plus the pinning of content to a scrolling carousel banner to highlight top information of the day.
AvMed launched a teaser campaign in April 2018, followed by a soft-launch to executive leadership two weeks later. ARC employee communication app was fully rolled out company-wide in May 2018. Through its partnership with theEMPLOYEEapp, AvMed:
- Garnered 50% adoption within one week, reaching 91% within the first six months.
- Created a “hybrid” platform that is used as a repository and social hub and enables easy access for employees, including important and frequently used PowerPoints, images and underwriting folders of all contracts, as well as reports that are targeted to and only made available for specific leadership or departments.
- Minimized production cost on newsletters that, until the implementation of ARC, were emailed as attachments. Now, AvMed posts the newsletters to the ARC employee communication app as well as individual stories to the “News Feed”.
- Produces more video content to be published through ARC. For instance, rather than only posting a list of monthly birthdays, AvMed now creates a short video containing an individual’s name, picture and birthday.
- Takes advantage of theEMPLOYEEapp’s directory function so that employees can call and email each other directly from ARC mobile.
- Drives greater employee engagement through the ARC “News Feed” by promoting new and fun campaigns, contests and trivia-style posts and content.
“When it comes down to the value proposition, it’s not about the cost, but what you get for your investment. Given their background in communications, theEMPLOYEEapp really rose above the rest when it came to sharing best practices and helping to implement something new.” – Jaime Alfaro, Director, Marketing Communications